The triple crochet stitch (or treble crochet) is abbreviated by the letters tr. This stitch only has a few variations compared with the double crochet stitch.
How to make a triple or treble crochet stitch?
1. On the chain that you’ve previously made, start the stitch in chain number 5 which is the one that appears shaded in the image. To make the second triple crochet stitch continue in chain number 6, don’t leave 5 chains of space.
2. Make two loops on the needle before inserting it through the fifth chain.
3. Insert the needle into the shaded area in the image.
4. Take another loop over and thread it through the chain stitch.
5. Now you should have four loops on the needle.
6. Make another loop over the needle and pass it through two of the four stitches you have on the needle from the previous step.
7. Now you should only have three stitches on your needle.
8. Make another loop over the needle and pass it through two of the three stitches that you had on the hook. You should only have two loops left.
9. Take another loop on the needle and pass it through the two remaining stitches you have on the needle. Your triple crochet is finished.
When you finish making the treble crochets over the chain stitches and you need to turn to start a new round, you should make four chains which are the equivalent of the triple crochet. Flip your fabric over and repeat steps 1 through 9.
Check out this video to have a little more detail and a visual aid to make this stitch.
If you´ve enjoyed this post give it a Like and subscribe to our Newsletter!