Generally, slip stitch (sl st) is the second stitch that is learned when talking about crochet. To start with it you should already have a chain made as long as you need it.
1. In the image the second stitch of the chain is highlighted, which is where you should insert the needle.
2. First you have to pass the needle through the chain stitch that is shaded and make a loop.
3. Now you must pass the thread through the loop where you have inserted the needle.
4. Repeat steps one, two and three. You should always insert the needle in the order shown in the image of step number one.
5. When you finish knitting the slip stitches in the chain that you previously made, you must make an extra slip stitch to turn the work.
In this video you can see in more detail how to knit a run stitch (click here to check it out).
In some cases you’ll need to make the stitches in a circular way for tablecloths, rugs or pillow cases.
To create the circle you must pass the thread through the number 1 shaded stitch and then pass it through the loop.
Now you have a circle. To start making a round of slip stitches you must follow the previous instructions: doing steps one, two and three until you finish sewing through all the chain stitches and then follow step number 5 to start the second round of your knitting.
Even if you don’t know how to make any more stitches, with these two -chain stitch and slip stitch- you can start making bags, covers for your mobile phone, headbands, baby shoes, covers for your cushions and many other projects.
If you´ve enjoyed this post give it a Like and subscribe to our Newsletter!